Login

Marcs Updater

There have been some reports about issues with the Updater not updating anymore. Please try the latest beta version and switch to another IP Check provider instead of the previous default dnsomatic.com. For some reason they are rate-limiting the number of requests to their service. The new IP Check provider selection allows you to choose another provider in such cases. You can test the functionality with the new "Test" panel.

If you want to add a custom provider to the unstable testing version, store a JSON file like the following under %PROGRAMDATA%\Marcs Updater\ServiceProviders\dyndns.json:

{
    "name": "DynDNS.org (Test)",
    "endpoint": "https://members.dyndns.org/nic/update",
    "method": "GET",
    "queryString": "hostname={HOSTNAME}&myip={MYIP}",
    "dataPayload": "",
    "defaults": {
        "username": "test",
        "password": "test",
        "hostname": "test1.customtest.dyndns.org"
    }
}

Supported query and payload tags are {USERNAME}, {PASSWORD}, {HOSTNAME} and {MYIP}. Restart the background service and foreground application to apply any changes.

Discussion created on

donaldarrowsmith

Posted on

Donald wrote:

Can you suggest why I can't update my IP at OpenDNS.com? I have had 1.5.2.294 installed on a WHS 2011 unit for quite a while and it was working fine. I was recently logged into the server desktop and I saw it wasn't updating. OpenDNS.com had an out-dated IP address for my network. The updater showed a message "The username and password pair do not match a real user. Please check your settings to continue." I have checked and double checked the credentials - which work fine when I log in at OpenDNS.com. I have the correct network name in the Hostname field. I have tried using 1.5.3.300. I have tried installing the updater on another WHS 2011 system as well as two different Windows 10 systems. Everything looks normal and it used to work but it doesn't now. I see only 'badauth' under IP Updates (although there is a green check mark at the front of each line.

A strange thing is that I started Wireshark and I see the updater communicating with updates.dnsomatic.com first before talking to updates.opendns.com. It's encrypted, of course, so I couldn't see the data.

If I install OpenDNS Updater 2.2.1, I can run it with the same credentials and it updates properly. Thanks for any assistance.

donaldarrowsmith

Posted on

Donald wrote:

No suggestions??

mback2k

Posted on

Marc wrote:

Could you please post a screenshot of the error message with the green checkmark? The updater communicates with dnsomatic.com in order to get your internet-facing IP.

rkloth

Posted on

Ralf wrote:

I know this thread is older, but just to clarify for future troubleshooters ....
I had the same 'bad auth' message out of nowhere, after running for some time. My Provider is spdns. Maybe they changed something?
Problem was i had under Username: "somename.spdns.de" which was not accepted anymore. I changed it to "somename" in the username field without the fqdn .... and the problem was gone.

Maybe just trying the accountname is working for others also.

regards
Ralf

Stephen.Marcy

Posted on

Stephen.Marcy wrote:

I just downloaded and installed the current stable version (Build 294 2013-04-19 PB 511 x64) and am having the same problem--receiving the same "do not match real user" message--only with my DynDNS Pro account. I, too, have triple checked my credentials which I just used successfully to access my DynPRO account. I also confirmed I have the Hostname entered correctly. The log shows several "badauth" entries. I'm still running Windows 7 Pro (all up-to-date), and all other software/systems/services appear to be running normally. The updater appears to be accessing the internet successfully through my cable modem gateway, but can't authenticate my DynDns account using the correct credentials. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Media #23 

mback2k

Posted on

Marc wrote:

Please check if your password contains any special characters and try to temporarly remove them by changing it. Once you have confirmed the specific characters that cause the isse, please report them here.

donaldarrowsmith

Posted on

Donald wrote:

OK, the problem was an '&' character in my password. The Updater control panel happily accepted it but I guess it didn't make it out to DNS-o-Matic. I have since changed my OpenDNS/DNS-o-matic password to not include that character and all's well again. Perhaps there could be a warning somewhere in the documentation and when the password is entered in the control panel.