Login

Marcs Updater

There have been some reports about issues with the Updater not updating anymore. Please try the latest beta version and switch to another IP Check provider instead of the previous default dnsomatic.com. For some reason they are rate-limiting the number of requests to their service. The new IP Check provider selection allows you to choose another provider in such cases. You can test the functionality with the new "Test" panel.

If you want to add a custom provider to the unstable testing version, store a JSON file like the following under %PROGRAMDATA%\Marcs Updater\ServiceProviders\dyndns.json:

{
    "name": "DynDNS.org (Test)",
    "endpoint": "https://members.dyndns.org/nic/update",
    "method": "GET",
    "queryString": "hostname={HOSTNAME}&myip={MYIP}",
    "dataPayload": "",
    "defaults": {
        "username": "test",
        "password": "test",
        "hostname": "test1.customtest.dyndns.org"
    }
}

Supported query and payload tags are {USERNAME}, {PASSWORD}, {HOSTNAME} and {MYIP}. Restart the background service and foreground application to apply any changes.

Discussion created on

disqus_6qrxayfyiL

Posted on

ANTHONY wrote:

WILL NEWER VERSIONS ALLOW YOU TO UPDATE EVERY MINUTE INSTEAD OF EVERY 5? OR IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS IN THE CURRENT VERSION.

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Just out of curiosity, can I ask you why would you need such a feature (i.e. such a short interval)? As far as I remember there even was this option once in older versions (although not in the drop-down menu but automatic), but a lot of people have had problems because of it since the DNS service (one in particular) they were using was banning them (or something like that) and so the author removed it. But again, this is just what I can tell from my memory. Please rather wait for Marc (or someone with more knowledge) to address that. :)

disqus_6qrxayfyiL

Posted on

ANTHONY wrote:

MY DNS SERVICE SAID AS LONG AS IT WAS NO UPDATING MUTIPLE TIMES IN A MINUTE IT WAS FINE. SO ONCE A MINUTE OR ONCE EVERY 2 MINUTES WOULD BE GOOD. AS FOR WHY I RUN A REAL TIME CHAT ROOM. WHICH IF IT GOES DOWN FOR A LENGTH OF TIME CAUSES ME TO LOSE USERS.

BTW I DID INSTALL THIS YESTERDAY BUT IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WORKING. I INTALLED IT AND GAVE IT THE LOG IN INFO FOR MY DNS PROVIDER. BUT IT DID NOT UPDATE IT. DO I HAVE TO FILL SOMETHING OUT ON ONE OF THE OTHER TABS FOR IT TO WORK? I KNOW IT DID NOT WORK BECAUSE THE DNS DID NOT UPDATE FOR 10 MINUTES. (WHICH IS WHAT THE OTHER UPDATER UPDATES ON 10 MINUTE INTERVALS)

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Hmmm, I am not so sure if I even understand the issue. You do use one of the providers listed in the GUI drop-down menu and your IP changes whenever you logoff/logon, right? The thing that I mostly do not understand is if you say you run a real time chat room (which you say sometimes goes down), what's the connection between this and your IP changing (as mentioned, the DHCP server assigns a new one only if you disconnect/loose connection)?
But then again, I am not an expert, so hopefully someone else will be able to *really* help you.

disqus_6qrxayfyiL

Posted on

ANTHONY wrote:

I DONT LOG OFF. THE IP CHANGES WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING. SOMETIMES ONCE A DAY SOMETIMES MORE. THE REASON THE CHAT ROOM GOES DOWN BECAUSE THE IP CHANGES SO THE ROOM IS UNREACHABLE UNTIL THE NEW IP PROPAGATES. WHICH IS WHY I WANT IT TO BE QUICKER THEN 5 MINUTES OR THE 10 MINUTE STANDARD OF DYN

mback2k

Posted on

Marc wrote:

Please stop posting in all upper case letters. Thanks.
What does the "Last Update" line in the settings windows show?
What does the "Diagnose" option in the systray right-click menu show?

Did your external IP actually change?