Login

Marcs Updater

There have been some reports about issues with the Updater not updating anymore. Please try the latest beta version and switch to another IP Check provider instead of the previous default dnsomatic.com. For some reason they are rate-limiting the number of requests to their service. The new IP Check provider selection allows you to choose another provider in such cases. You can test the functionality with the new "Test" panel.

If you want to add a custom provider to the unstable testing version, store a JSON file like the following under %PROGRAMDATA%\Marcs Updater\ServiceProviders\dyndns.json:

{
    "name": "DynDNS.org (Test)",
    "endpoint": "https://members.dyndns.org/nic/update",
    "method": "GET",
    "queryString": "hostname={HOSTNAME}&myip={MYIP}",
    "dataPayload": "",
    "defaults": {
        "username": "test",
        "password": "test",
        "hostname": "test1.customtest.dyndns.org"
    }
}

Supported query and payload tags are {USERNAME}, {PASSWORD}, {HOSTNAME} and {MYIP}. Restart the background service and foreground application to apply any changes.

Discussion created on

disqus_OOAF0SI0h1

Posted on

deanna wrote:

I installed Marcs Updater "made up" a username and password, tried to run it, got the following error message:, "The username and password do not match a real user"
Which username and password do I need to use for Marcs Updater?

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Well, obviously you cannot just "make up" username and password and enter it into Marcs Updater. You need to have an account at one of the DNS services and then enter the info (i.e. username & password) from whichever service you use to be able to use Marcs Updater (and for it to have any effect on your internet experience).

disqus_OOAF0SI0h1

Posted on

deanna wrote:

So, since you are dealing with a complete and total technical newbie, what exactly is "one of the DNS services". I don't even know what a DNS service is. For the past year I (somehow) successfully used OpenDNS (with their IP updater) as an internet based filter, rather than put a filter on each device. (basically we were all tired of garbage showing up when we did a basic search...even my teens came to me complaining that they were sick of it). So, out of the blue, OpenDNS stops working in mid-August. I have been in contact with OpenDNS tech support since then. They do not have a phone number, but respond via email, makes it rather slow going. Anyway, they suggested I stop using OpenDNS's IP updater and use Marcs Updater.

Reading through the comments on this site is quite similar to reading Greek/Hebrew/Latin. If you could explain as if you're explaining to an elementary student, I would much appreciate it. :)

ANOTHER QUESTION: what am I supposed to put in the "hostname" field?
Following is the error I receive, I have no idea what to type in this field...
"The host name specified is not a fully qualified domain name (not in the form hostname.dyndns.org or domain.com). Please check your settings to continue."

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Hostname is the name that you've chosen for your network. For example in my case it's "Home". You can check it out by logging in into http://www.opendns.com/, visiting your Dashboard (https://dashboard.opendns.com/..., and clicking on network drop-down menu under Stats & Logs or Settings (see screenshot)

Media #20 

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Regarding you 2nd comment (that's still "waiting in moderation" queue); as first I wanted to simply tell you then you don't need Marcs Updater, however after reading the whole comment (or at least most of it :D) I see that you've indeed used (or still use? if you computer is configured correctly) OpenDNS.
OpenDNS is one of those "DNS services" that I mentioned in my previous reply.
So in that case (granted, if you computer/router is correctly configured to use OpenDNS's DNS servers instead of your ISP's ones) then the obvious answer is: *you need to enter your OpenDNS's username and password* to use Marcs Updater!

disqus_OOAF0SI0h1

Posted on

deanna wrote:

Aha! Yeah, I know, seems totally obvious to everyone....but me! :)
Anyway, thanks I was able to use the Marcs Updater successfully!

BTW, I really appreciate the fact that you answered my question without putting me down. I'm always a little leering of asking questions on forums when everyone else seems to know what they're talking about..and I don't. :)

However, OpenDNS still not working...sigh...back to tech support.

tayiper

Posted on

tayiper wrote:

Uh sorry to hear that... :( Give it a few more tries (left-click on the Marcs Updater icon in systray and click "OK"), then you can then check - if the update of your dynamic IP was successful - by right-clicking the MU icon and selecting "IP Updates" menu item.
If that will not work maybe a restart of your computer (or router) might help, or as mentioned, maybe your computer/router is not even configured to use OpenDNS. Always available instructions for various OSs & devices are here: http://208.69.38.205/
I guess you know where to check if you're indeed using OpenDNS, right? If not, it's this link: http://www.opendns.com/welcome... and you should get orange check-mark if yes (see attached screenshot), and redirected to some "Oops" page (if I recall correctly) if not.

Media #21 

disqus_OOAF0SI0h1

Posted on

deanna wrote:

You. Are. Awesome! Thanks I'll give it a whirl! :)